HARRY O. WARD
Harry O. Ward, 83, of Carmel, passed away on December 27, 2010, at Putnam Hospital Center. Mr. Ward was born on December 28, 1926, to Oswald Harry and Hazel (Coffee) Ward of Yonkers, NY. Mr. Ward attended Saunders Trade School in Yonkers and graduated in June of 1944. Immediately after graduation Mr. Ward enlisted in the United States Navy Reserves and served his country during World War II aboard the Cleveland Class Light Cruiser, USS Amsterdam.
After Mr. Ward was honorably discharged from the Navy he married his beloved wife Joan on September 21, 1946, and built a home in Ardsley. The couple then moved to Phoenix, only to return to Ardsley a few years later. In the summer of 1972 Harry and Joan moved from Ardsley to their dream home surrounded by the beautifully wooded hills of Carmel.
Mr. Ward was soon thereafter employed as the Building and Zoning Inspector for the Town of Kent and retired in 1992. He was considered by many to be a very special person as he cared very much about people and was always there to help if needed. He was a member of the New York State Building Officials Conference Mid-Hudson Chapter, Rotary Club of Carmel, and a life member of The American Legion.
During his younger years he was an avid sportsman who excelled in speed skating, baseball, hunting, and fishing with his father by his side in the wooded areas of Yonkers and upstate New York. He also loved everything about flying and obtained his single engine (Airman’s) pilot license in 1959. He spent most of his early retirement years diligently caring for his wife while touring many historical areas of interest with her. In his spare time he enjoyed digital photography and spending time with family and friends.
He is survived by his two loving sons; Harry Ward and James Ward; his sister Sandy Suttle; his niece Cheryl; and five adoring grandchildren David, Dylan, James, Tiffany, and Dalton.
His beloved wife Joan has been waiting patiently for him to dance with her again since 2003.