Fire at Popular Mahopac Deli
Employees of the Ding Dong Deli on Route 6 in Mahopac had opened for the day Friday and were preparing for the morning crowd of breakfast requests when at 6:30 a.m. they smelled smoke and noticed flames inside a convection oven.
A call was made to 9-1-1 and within minutes Mahopac FD personnel arrived on the scene followed by fire crews from the Carmel Fire Department who had been venting a house of smoke on Route 301 (caused by an oil burner malfunction earlier in the morning).
Carmel Police Dept. Sgt. Michael Nagle told the Courier when he pulled up to the scene the interior of the oven was fully engulfed: "It was an orange glow. The firemen got here very quickly and knocked down the flames."
Mahopac FD Chief Ray Hamill said the fire burned through the back of the over and extended into the rear of the building: "Our guys entered the building from the back side and knocked the fire down. Another minute or two and we could have had a real barnburner on our hands."
The chief credited the deli staff for "making the right phone call."
No injuries were reported and fire crews remained on the scene for two hours.
Also assisting on the scene were Putnam Deputy Emergency Coordinator James Ciulla, Brewster FD Assistant Chief William Reig, Carmel Building Inspector Mike Carnazza and a representative of the Putnam Bureau of Emergency Services.